Research on MBSR RT and Mindfulness:
April 2011 Institute for Noetic Sciences – Noetic Now
Significant research on the effectiveness of MBSR has been done in the 30 years since its inception. In the last ten years, specific research has shown the benefits of meditation to increase immune efficiency, improve sleep, decrease anxiety and depression, improve overall quality of life as well as treat a number of specific illnesses. In addition, this research has shown that meditation affects the neuro-functioning of the brain.
Self-Directed Neuroplasticity: A 21st-Century View of Meditation by Rick Hanson, PhD
Sunday, Jan. 30, 2011 IN THE NEWS– Mindfulness meditation training changes brain structure in 8 weeks. Mass. General-led study shows changes over time in areas associated with awareness, empathy, stress.
If you do one thing this week, meditate to change your brain
Endorphins: Natural Pain and Stress Fighters
Brainwaves and meditation
Mind Science – Neuroplasticity – YouTube
First Direct Evidence of Neuroplastic Changes Following Brainwave Training
It Really Is All in Your Head: Neurofeedback Can Change Your Brain
Doctors preach ‘brain training’ to treat post-traumatic stress
Human brains grow, change and can heal themselves
New hope for memory loss and stress as meditators change the physical brain
The Role of Mindfulness in Health Care Reform: A Policy Paper
Meditation class helps lower violence at AL prison
Biological Overview of Meditation
Noninvasive Technique to Rewrite Fear Memories Developed
Are You Part of the Mindfulness Revolution?
Even Beginners can Curb Pain with Meditation
Mindfulness practice leads to increases in regional brain gray matter density
Hölzelab, Britta; Carmodyc, James; Vangela, Mark; Congletona, Christina; Yerramsettia, Sita M. Gardab; Tim; Lazara, Sarah W
Mindfulness in medicine JAMA. 2008;300(11):1350–2. Ludwig DS, Kabat-Zinn J.
Transcendental meditation, mindfulness, and longevity: an experimental study with the elderly. J Pers Soc Psychol. 1989;57(6):950–64. Alexander CN, Langer EJ, Newman RI, Chandler HM, Davies JL.
Effects of stress reduction on carotid atherosclerosis in hypertensive African Americans. 2000;31(3):568-73 Castillo-Richmond A, Schneider RH, Alexander CN, Cook R, Myers H, Nidich S, Haney C, Rainforth M, Salerno J.
Mindfulness meditation training effects on CD4+ T lymphocytes in HIV-1 infected adults: A small randomized controlled trial. Brain Behav Immun. 2009;23(2):184-8.
Creswell DJ, Myers HF, Cole SW, Irwin MR.
“I felt like a new person.” the effects of mindfulness meditation on older adults with chronic pain: qualitative narrative analysis of diary entries. J Pain. 2008;9(9):841-8.
Lynce NE, CS, Greco CM, Tindle HA, Weiner DK.
Mindfulness meditation for the treatment of chronic low back pain in older adults: A randomized controlled pilot study. Pain. 2008;134(3):310-9. Morone NE, Greco CM, Weiner DK.
Medical care utilization and the transcendental meditation program. Psychosom Med. 1987;49(5):493–507. Orme-Johnson D.
A randomized controlled trial of stress reduction in African Americans treated for hypertension for over one year. Am J Hypertens. 2005;18(1):88-98.
Schneider RH, Alexander CN, Staggers F, Orme-Johnson DW, Rainforth M, Salerno JW, Sheppard W, Castillo-Richmond A, Barnes VA, Nidich SI.
- Impact of MBSR on quality of life in solid organ transplant recipients (Gross, PI, Kreitzer, Co-PI)
- Effectiveness of MBSR compared to prescribed sleep medication for people with chronic insomnia (Gross, PI, Kreitzer, Co-PI)
- Use of MBSR by caregivers to a family member with dementia to manage stress and maintain life balance (Whitebird, PI, Kreitzer, Co-PI)
- Efficacy of MBSR to improve quality of life and reduce anxiety in incarcerated women (Winbush, PI)
- Effects of MBSR on reducing student stress and promoting psychological well-being (Trotter)
- Effects of MBSR on vascular functioning and exercise capacity (Lindquist, PI)
- Use of MBSR as a platform for health behavior change among nurses at midlife (Frisvold and Lindquist, Co-PIs)
- Impact of MBSR on nurse well-being and retention (Barzarko, PI)
- Use of MBSR for candidates awaiting kidney transplants (Gross, PI)
- Cohen-Katz, J., et. al. (2004) The effects of Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction on Nurse Stress and Burnout. Holistic Nursing Practice. November/December 2004.
- Cohen-Katz, J., et. al. (2005) The effects of Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction on Nurse Stress and Burnout, Part II. Holistic Nursing Practice. January/February 2005.
- Cohen-Katz, J., et. al. (2005) The effects of Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction on Nurse Stress and Burnout, Part III. Holistic Nursing Practice. March/April 2005.
- Colle, K et. al. (2009) Measurement of quality of life and participant experience with the mindfulness-based stress reduction program. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice. 16(1); 30-40.
- Krasner, M. (2004) Commentary: Mindfulness-Based Interventions: a coming of Age? Families, Systems, & Health. 22(2); 207-212.
- Krasner, M., Epstein, R., Beckman, H., et. al. (2009) Association of an Education Program in Mindful Communication. JAMA. 301(12); 1284-1293.
- Pipe, T.B., et. al. (2009) Nurse Leader Mindfulness Meditation Program for Stress Management. The Journal of Nursing Administration. 39(3); 130-137.
- Shanafelt, T.D. (2009) Enhancing meaning at work: A prescription for preventing physician burnout and promoting patient-centered care. JAMA. 301(12); 1338-1340.
- Shapiro, S., Schwartz, G. and Bonner, G. (1998) Effects of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction on Medical and Premedical Students. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 21(6); 581-599.
- Jeff gives a beautiful talk at TEDx on science, spirituality and how to eliminate human suffering in our lifetime. Check this one out.